These little puppies are good in just about anything….salads, guacamole, soups, stews, rice, tacos, chili, eggs…gosh, you name it! Careful though…remove the seeds or your tongue and ears might ignite. Lol…teasing…you’ll figure out how much heat you can take with a couple of tries.
CHEF’S TIP: In case I forget to buy them, I always have a supply handy because I freeze them. Not whole, but I clean, remove the seeds, chop them up and divide into 2 Tablespoon portions. I saran wrap the 2 T and put them all in a freezer bag. So, when I’m cooking soup, chili, slow cooker or whatever, I remove an individual 2 T frozen packet and pop it in the meal I’m cooking. Whalla!
Benefits of the Jalapeño Pepper
Copied from: DailyJuiceCafe.com Thank you, Melissa Nelson for this valuable information.
- Contain capsaicin – Weight loss Peppers contain a chemical known as capsaicin, which is actually what gives peppers their hot properties. Capsaicin is also good for helping you lose weight, and is commonly found in many weight loss pills and supplements.
- Headaches: The capsaicin in peppers is also known to block the neuropeptide known as Substance P, which is amain pain transmitter to the brain. What this means is that peppers can actually help to ease pain away.
- Arthritis: Capsaicin also acts as an anti-inflammatory, which makes it great for reducing swelling and pain in those who suffer from arthritis.
- Ulcers: Peppers kill bad bacteria in the stomach and intestines, and often this bacteria is what leads to stomach ulcers.
- Nasal Congestion: The heat in peppers, again caused by capsaicin, clears the sinuses. It even helps to fight sinus infections by cleansing the airways. This means you can literally breath easier with the help of jalapeño peppers.
- High Blood Pressure: Jalapeño are a chili pepper, and chili peppers commonly have lots of flavonoids, Vitamin C and Vitamin A. Flavonoids are good for lowering one’s blood pressure.
- Fluid Loss: Why? Because peppers cause you to sweat, and the more you sweat, the less fluid there is in your body
- Antioxidant Properties: Because of the flavonoids and vitamins found in jalapeño peppers, these peppers are excellent anti-oxidants, which means they work within the bloodstream to help the body fight off and heal from damaging cells.